|Event Location:||GHV Bulyea Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Mon, Feb 6 2012 6:30 PM|
|Registration Cut Off:||Mon, Feb 6 2012 4:00:00 PM|
|Event Duration:||~ 1 Hour|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Coordinator contact information.
|Member Cost:||Voluntary Donation Only (See Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||4 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|You've heard about the three terrors of the Fire
Swamp (or maybe you haven't... if you haven't,
that's from The Princess Bride and the three
terrors are the Fire Spurt, the Lightening Sand
and the ROUSs - Rodents of Unusual Size). Rhonda
and Brent are going to hike part of the West Coast
Trail next summer and need to get ready. On the
West Coast Trail, the three terrors are the Beach
Sand, the Ladders and the ROUSs - Roots of Unusual
Size. This conditioning adventure is designed to
help people train for hiking the West Coast Trail
by building skill in climbing and traversing rough
terrain with backpacks on.
You do not have to be planning to hike the West Coast Trail to come out for this event. Come out if you want training for any backpack in rough terrain, if you want to build upper body strength and coordination, or even if it just sounds like fun to you.
Bulyea Park has a perfect playground for training for both the Ladders and the Roots of Unusual Size (which require a lot of climbing). If we have enough snow on the ground, we can also tromp about in it to condition with our packs on while hiking through the resistance of snow (not unlike the resistance of hiking in sand).
To participate in this adventure, you should have:
- Backpack - a multi-day proper backpack is recommended, but a day pack is acceptable
- Weight in your pack - you can start training with as little as 10 pounds of weight in your pack if you wish and go up from there. If you're an experienced backpacker, I recommend starting with at least 20 pounds.
- Bulk in your pack - regardless of how much weight you have in your pack, make sure you bulk it out (like with a pillow or something) to simulate a completely full pack.
- One (and only one) hiking pole. On the West Coast Trail, you should have one pole and one free hand for grabbing things. We will do all of our activities with one pole.
- See "Required" and "Recommended" lists below for more.
This event will be postponed or changed if conditions aren't conducive to training.
Be careful out there, folks! Playgrounds can be dangerous places and caution clambering about on them with our backpacks on does require caution. We have already had one unfortunate incident resulting in an injury, and I would like to continue doing these events... but with no further injuries.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||300 Bulyea Road NW - from Terwillegar Drive, turn
east onto Bulyea Road. The park will be a short
ways up on the right-hand side of the road. There
is a large parking lot.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in EOC events.
- Please scroll through and read the entire online waiver when you sign up.
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
|Voluntary Donation: ( What is this?)|
Suggested donation amount for this event is: $2.00/Person.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!